Troops Organization and Equipment
107th Mechanized Reconnaissance Squadron
In January 1944 the regiment was reorganized into a Cavalry Group Mechanized: Regimental Headquarters became the 107th Cavalry Group Headquarters. First Squadron became the 22nd Reconnaissance Squadron, and the Second Squadron became the 107th Reconnaissance Squadron.
While training in the States and once in the ETO the 107th was assigned as follows:
The 107th Reconnaissance Squadron moved to Fort Hood, Texas to conduct overseas training, where it was assigned to the 115th Cavalry Group Mechanized. The 107th Reconnaissance Squadron sailed from the Port of New York on 3 January 1945 and landed at Le Havre, France on 16 January 1945. They moved to Camp Lucky Strike, near Cany Barville, France for three weeks of training and unpacking equipment that had been shipped from Fort Hood. In March and April the Squadron was assigned to the 15th Army and attached to the 66th Infantry Division in Brittany, with the mission of containing the enemy forces in the ST. Nazaire Pocket. Late in April the Squadron was assigned to the 7th Army and attached to the 103rd Infantry Division.
107th Mechanized Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron TO&E
Cavalry Mechanized Squadrons – were organized with three cavalry troops, lettered A to C, each equipped with 13 M8 armored cars (Greyhounds) and jeeps; an Assault gun Troop, E, with six 75 mm Howitzer Motor Carriages (HMC) M8, a self-propelled Howitzer vehicle something known as the M8 Scott; a light tank company, F, with 17 M5 (later M24) Stuart tanks; a service company; and a Headquarters and Headquarters Service Company.
Cavalry Mechanized Troop – Each Troop (A through C) was usually equipped with a mix of the three vehicles. The jeep with a bracket-mounted .30 caliber machine gun, manned by a soldier sitting in the front passenger seat. A Second Jeep was mounted with a 60 mm mortar manned by two soldiers. Sometimes the jeep was mounted with a .50 caliber machine gun. To maximize speed and maneuverability on the battlefield , the jeeps were not given extra armor protection. The cavalry mechanized troop also deployed the six-wheeled, lightweight M8 Greyhound armored car; mounted with a 37-mm gun in a movable turret that could swing a full 360 degrees. The vehicle also featured a .30 caliber coaxial machine gun that could move independently of the turret. The M8 was equipped with the powerful FM radios to enable battlefield communications. The troop aslo utilized two half-tracks to carry their headquarters unit and an ammunition section.
Cavalry E Troop – Troop provided with 15 short-barreled 75-mm self-propelled (3.0-inch) howitzer mounted on a M8 chassis with an open turret.
Cavalry F Troop – Troop provided 17 M5A1 Stuart light tanks mounted with a 37-mm cannon and up to four .30 caliber machine guns. The M5 Stuart light tank was capable of speeds up to 36 mph on the road. While fast and maneuverable, the Stuart’s armor plating and its cannon were soon found to be no match against the German tank. The M24 Chaffee was the replacement for the Stuart.
The M24 started to enter widespread use in December 1944, but they were slow in reaching the front-line combat units. By the end of the war, many armored divisions were still mainly equipped with the M3/M5 Stuart. Some armored divisions did not receive their first M24s until the war was over.
Service Troop – Troop primary mission was to maintain the vehicles of the Squadron.
Medical Detachment – Assist with the medical needs of the Squadron.
Transportation – Not sure on this one other than the obvious, I am still researching.
Supply Section – Provided supplies to the Squadron